If only the walls could talk! The heady days of the Victorian Gold Rush have left Beechworth with an impressive legacy of over 30 National Trust-listed buildings, all with their own colourful past and secret stories.
Take yourself on a self-guided wander or guided tour through the streets of Beechworth with an Echoes of History map that can be collected at the Visitor Information Centre. Also look out for the Echoes of History pavement plaques outside key historic buildings.
Built in 1853, this was the site of the earliest timber hotel. A wealthy miner, JA Wallace, bought the hotel in 1857, named it The Star and rebuilt it with weatherboard walls and shingle roof. In 1864, the new owner, JS Clarke rebuilt it in brick. This was the scene of the murder of Robert Murdoch, a young manager, whose grave you can see in the Beechworth Cemetery.
The Post Office was completed in 1859. Following a fire along Camp St in 1867 the Post Office was rebuilt with a bell and clock tower. The P.0. played an important role in communicating news in 1880 of the infamous murders of police at Stringybark Creek and the various exploits of the Kelly gang.
Site of the Argus office, the first newspaper sold in Beechworth. James Ingram, the newsagent, walked from here to the Woolshed Goldfields (approx 6km) to sell Argus newspapers. It was also the site of a drapery and clothing store, a tobaconnist and from 1861 to 1871, the Corner Hotel.